Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Book Group

Not too long ago, I was lamenting my lack of girlfriends. Don't get me wrong; I love hanging out with Sadie, telling her all my secrets while we paint each other's fingernails, and have pillow fights.

Sadie and Katie - B.F.F.

But lately, I had been thinking about high school and my freshman year of college. How different my life seems now than then. I had friends that I saw every day, girlfriends that I talked to on a regular basis, and I missed that.

Around February, I guess, I remember talking to my mom about my prayers of late.

My mom mentioned Virginia. VK and I went to grade school together at Zion Christian Academy all the way through high school, attended the same church, man! we even 'went out' with same guy. (Not at the same time, mind you...)
ANYWAY, I love Virginia.
Amazingly enough, Virginia is now a teacher at our old elementary school and still attends my family church.

Well, Virginia's name came up, and before I knew it. Virginia, Kari, Megan (another school friend aka "Zionite"), and I were having dinner at Betty's Parkway in Riverside.

Me, Meg, and VK in Elementary School (Rachel too now!! To my left)

It was like we'd never been apart! We talked and talked and talked. Somehow, the topic of books came up, and before long, we formed a book group.

(Virginia says we can't call it a book club 'cause that sounds like we're old ladies.)

I was ex-cit-ed! I came home, told Chris all about it, and surfed the web for a couple of hours looking up books for us to read.

What do you expect? 1) I'm a nerd. 2) I love to plan. 3) I had some girls to hang out with again!


Chris was happy for me too... ESPECIALLY when our ever-evolving Bible-study, book group decided that we would celebrate each book read with a themed-dinner. The first book we finished was "Beguiled" by Deeanne Gist.

Since it was set in the South, we decided on Southern cuisine.


Menu:
Chicken and Dumplings
Fried Okra
Cooked Carrots

Homemade Cornbread
Fudge Pie (made from a real Southern cookbook - don't know why I'm in awe of that. Most of my recipes are from the foodnetwork.com or TiVo'd)

Here are some of the evening's highlights:

1) Cooking in my apron

2) Cooking in my new skillet

3) Cooking... period


It was the best night!!

I found some pans that I hadn't seen since I opened them at one of my bridal showers six years prior, Chris got a homemade meal thanks in part to his wife, and God answered my prayers when I got to share a meal with two phenomenal ladies.

Oh, and don't feel too sorry for Sadie... we still hang out.

P.S. Anyone interested in joining our small but brilliantly read book group is more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment