Friday, April 9, 2010

Easter and a Question

I can't believe Easter has come and gone.

Already?!

I'm so mixed up right now on my dates. Today, as I filled out my work schedule, I dated everything March. Wow... March. A whole month off.

Um... what happened to that month anyway?

Anyway, I love Easter. Truly one of my favorite times of the year.

And this Easter was so perfect. The weather changed from dull, cold, and dreary to sunny and warm just as Easter arrived.

But here's the thing. I've got a story and question.
So be honest with me now...

I love to talk to my friend, Bailey, at church.
Bailey is a bright, happy seven year old.

Always smiling, she loves to tell me about the weekly goings-on in her life, including her upcoming birthday, her latest missing tooth and how it came out, and how she and her older sister got along that week.

But Easter Sunday, she was telling me about all the candy she got from the Easter bunny and the Easter Egg Hunt held the day before.


Bailey: "My basket was so full!" Her eyes were as wide as saucers.
Me:
"Did you get any Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs?"
B:
"No."
M:
"Oh, those are my favorite."


I was excited for her. Yay for candy. Yay for Bailey.
BUT I was also excited for me.

It's true. I still get an Easter basket.

BEHOLD:
THE EASTER BASKETS!

Look at them all. So happy and full. Just waiting to be opened by me, my siblings, our significant others, Aunt Mary Ann, and yes, even my dad.


Mine is the one on the right.

Wanna know what I got?
White Cheddar Popcorn Sprinkles
White Cheddar Popcorn (now eaten by the way)
Green "Floor Dusting" Slippers
Sour Patch Kids, Bottle Caps, Wintermint Lifesavers

AND

yes, my friends, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Eggs
(Cue: Heavenly Choir of Angels Singing "Ah Ah!")

Oh right. So the question:

Is that sad?

I'm still a kid at heart. I still get excited about presents: birthday, Christmas, and Easter. Is it sad that I dread the day when my kids will instead be getting these presents instead of me?

You know, I hear parents say all the time how they just love Christmas because of their kids' expressions and excitement on their faces as they open their gifts.

Well, I imagine MY face looks something like that.
I get excited. I have happy, surprised expressions.

Just wondering...

Truly though, presents or not, Easter is incredible.
The most important day of the Christian faith.

And God is so good. It is true that the best present is Christ.

We serve a living God, and the blessings He gives me everyday are so undeserved.

He was even thinking of me when He created the Reese's Peanut Butter Egg man.

*Stay tuned for my post on Mule Day activities and visit with my beautiful cousin, Laurie and her family.*



Me, Laurie, and my sister, Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Is it sad? I dunno. I hope not, because I too, really enjoy Easter baskets, stockings from "Santa" and the like. I don't think the day has to end when you no longer get to enjoy these things. I am in the process of training my husband to know how important Easter baskets and stockings are. Hopefully he will continue to bless me with these things even after the little kiddos arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for sure can not say it is sad.... In my house the Easter Bunny brings my kids candy they don't even like, such as PEEPS!! Those are my favorite, so every year I buy PEEPS for the kids Easter Baskets even though they don't like them at all!!! So, no Miss Katie, I think it's totally Awesome and thank you for your blog it always makes me giggle! :)

    ReplyDelete