Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Family, Four-Wheelers, and Frontline

Shawn and Callie


Yes, I'm still alive -despite the extended non-activity on my blog recently.

I'm Back!!

I saw a bumper sticker on my way to work this morning that read, "Family is the most important."

Hmmm... very true. And my family is the best. I know, I'm kinda biased.

The last two weekends have been spent with cousins, second-cousins, siblings, brother- and sister-in-law, and nephews.

April 10th was Mule Day in Columbia.
A fun, family-friendly weekend showcasing those fabulously sterile animals we call mules.

I don't exactly know the history of mule day, but it's gotta be good. And for that one weekend, all of Columbia, TN has mule fever. Hundreds of thousands come to watch the "Liar's Contest," the "Mule Pull" competition, and of course, the Mule Day Parade, complete with Mule Day Queen.

It's a great weekend for Columbia, but it was an especially great weekend for me because the Laurie and her family were in town.

Remember Laurie?



Laurie, without trying to get too complicated, is my second cousin... I think.

Anyway, Laurie and her husband, Shawn, and her three beautiful children came to visit. (Not sure what they are to me... third cousins? Or second cousins once removed? Aaaah!)

Lea, Me, and Callie


All I know is, they're great. Chris and I skipped the Mule Day festivities to spend the afternoon with them at my parents'.

We played Mexican Train Dominoes and then...

we decided to ride.




Tah-Dah!


Chris rode with Callie. I rode with Lea.



Now, these little bikes are very deceiving. I won't go into too much detail about the adventure we had, but let's just say, after about an hour or so, we decided to call it quits.




I could feel the ticks crawling on me anyway...


Upon our return to the house, I dismissed the idea of bathing in Frontline. Instead the girls and I decided to bake cookies!


Me: "Ok, Lea, here are the dry ingredients... flour, sugar..."
Me: "Oh Callie, you start crackin' those eggs, girl. I'll soften this butter. Perfect! Let's pre-heat the oven... wait."
Mom: "OH MAN! I forgot to tell you. My oven doesn't work."



WWWHHHHHYYYY???


Me: "Ok, well here's a bowl of sugar and some flour for later then. Girls, let's find a no-bake cookie recipe, shall we?"

Despite the pictures, the chocolate something-or-other recipe we tried tasted pretty good. Then again, I suppose anything with butter, sugar, and chocolate would be tasty...

Thus concluded the festivites of the day. Like I said, it was an awesome visit.

*Pictures from the birthday party and other Moon-like activities to come!*

No comments:

Post a Comment