Monday, March 15, 2010

Fireside Thoughts


Chris and Sadie relaxing


So yesterday was Monday.

Cue the line from Soul II Soul's "Back to Life, Back to Reality."

The theme of the day.


Yes, back to life, back to work, bye bye lovely weekend.


The day proved to be a trying one, too.

Meetings, phone calls, and even some manual labor in heels. (Hey, I'm a team player. What can I say?)

My fellow workers even laughed at me as I toted a large stack of chairs across the lobby with a chair dolly, and whipped out their cell phones to snap a picture.


"Employee of the Quarter!" I called.
In my head, I was thinking, "Do I really look that ridiculous? I do this sort of thing all the time."

Lunch was rather speedy and small. So when 7pm rolled around, I was ready for home, husband, and food.

What I got was traffic, angry drivers, and a depressing topic on talk radio.

I spent most of the drive home contemplating my chances of winning the HGTV Dream Home.
The giveaway was that night. I imagined coming home, Chris greeting me with a gleam in his eye, and a knock at the door. I open the door to a guy holding a bunch of balloons, a huge check, and shouts of "CONGRATULATIONS!"

No such luck.

I opened the door to no balloons, no check, no congratulations.
There wasn't even any food.

I was cranky and whiny. Poor Chris.
"I'm getting dinner!" I say.

So after a meal at Panchos, I'm calm, rational, and realizing how difficult I was.
Me: "I'm sorry. You're such a good man, Chris."
Chris: "Uh-huh."

The evening concluded around the fireplace in our living room. A rarely used room.

I sat on cushions eating out of two cartons of ice cream with only a spoon, and Chris laid on the carpet, Sadie stretched out beside him.

We talked about our day, laughed at Chris' funny faces and impressions of me and his ability to shrink his mouth to look like Larry the Cucumber's. We laughed until our sides hurt.

A good ending to the Moon's Monday... even if I didn't get those balloons. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment