Sunday, March 21, 2010

Homesick

Today was a difficult day.

Not all days go by so happy-go-lucky for me.

When I was younger, I was always said to be "too sensitive" by friends, family, and even some ex-boyfriends.

I think I've toughened up a bit since then.
That's what life will do.


But today was the Lord's Day, Sunday.
Today I visited a friend who is dying from cancer, a battle she has fought valiently for many years.

And it was hard. So very hard.

Today, my friend and I talked about her favorite hymns. She specifically mentioned one of my most beloved hymns, "It Is Well with My Soul."

That was the hymn we sang at Paul's funeral. Paul was a friend from my childhood.

He is now with Jesus, and this week marked the 11th anniversary of his death.

You know, they say time heals all wounds.
(Whoever "they" is.)


And although I believe this to be true to some extent, deep down, I know some wounds never fully heal. Some memories don't fade. Some are as vivid to me now, as they ever were.

I think I remember them for a reason. God allows me to remember for a reason.

Romans 8:28 promises that all things work together for good for those who love Him, that we are called by Him to a purpose.
I certainly love my God. And I know that she and Paul love Him as well.

Chris comforted our friend today with the reminder that all our bodies will fail us one day and that we will return home, reunited with her and our heavenly Father when they do.

To which she smiled and replied, "I'm ready to see my Jesus."


As my pastor declared to us that day we buried Paul eleven years ago, we can be sure that Paul is home. And heaven is all the more attractive because of it.

"Praise God from whom all blessing flow. Praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above, ye heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment