Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fairytales & Feeling Old

It doesn't take much to make me feel old anymore.

A photograph, a long-lost high school friend, that high school friend's child, and a bridal shop visit last week will all do the trick.

Yes, Kadi is getting married.
















Little Kadi! Can you believe it?

I've known this lady for almost 17 years now, since she was three years old.

My sister, Stephanie, and I were best friends with her older sister, Kari. We were the three musketeers and next door neighbors.

And Kadi was often the subject of our wild adventures.

We used to drag her out of the house on Saturday mornings and make her attend "School."

School consisted of wacky science projects like "slip and slide' in their basement bathroom. (Just dump an entire bottle of dish soap on the floor, add water, and wah - lah! Slip and Slide!)

We would also tell her scary stories that made her cry and lock her out of the house in freezing weather.


Yeah... not so cool, now.

But now the day is coming. The day she'll become Kadi: daughter, sister, friend, and wife.

Marriage is amazing. It changes you. Makes you better. It's tough, exhausting, exhilarating, and forever.

I was 19 years old when I took my vows; it was the most beautiful day of my life. It is a mystery: two becoming one, & I look back on my life and see God, God, God.





So best wishes to you, darling Kadi, on your fairytale.

Feeling old will be a part of it someday, but growing old with the one is the best.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow! Kadi is getting married?! That's great! I'm with ya on the feeling old at the drop of a hat!

    ReplyDelete